I burnt myself while I was cooking this weekend. I was roasting the most delicious BBQ beef ribs but when I removed them from the oven I spilt some of the BBQ sauce on my foot. Then I proceeded to slip in the sauce and land on my butt. Somehow I managed to get the ribs onto the kitchen bench on my way down. Thankfully it wasn't a bad burn and I had done a first aid course so I knew to run it under cool water for 20 minutes. I was so fortunate that it wasn't more serious and I was just left with a small red mark on my foot. There are thousands of burn accidents every year. The following information is from St Johns in Victoria:
CLEAR all jewellery and clothing from around the burn area (unless stuck to the skin)
COOL place the burn under cool running water for 20 minutes.
COVER the burn loosely with cling wrap or a clean, damp lint-free cloth. Don't put anything else on it!
Go to the doctor or emergency department if: